Friday, March 11, 2011

Fake Christian (or any) Religion vs. the gospel

Its easy to be critical in retrospect, right? I loved taco Tuesday in middle school. I loved the pizza and pony rides of youth group. I liked stealing a free coke from the adult bible study with Bo & Jared and being a hypocrite with the other h-town skaters as we kept our eyes off the cross and on younger girls before, during, and after the service. Its easy to be critical, but there was a lot of good in those days too.

However, suffice it to say that I got a lot of american-middle-class-cultural-religion and not so much of the gospel, the good news. I think this short video really sums up the true message of Jesus' love in some deep ways for me. Perhaps not for you, but for me. I've been angry, and hated loss, and wallowed in a very sophisticated sort of self-pity. My sadness tends to hide behind big words and jokes. Yours may find another form.

All religion is idolatry, whether it carries a bible or parties till 5am nightly. Every religion is a cruel master. This is just a small reminder that the gospel is not simply a happy-go-lucky feel good way of life. Neither is it a way for me to express my natural inclinations to melancholy. I don't have time to maintain these regrets...




HT Los and his buddy Adam. I hope this one makes the rounds.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful video with the truth that is even more beautiful. He loves us while we are still messy, while we are broken, when we curse His name & others, when we want nothing more than to push Him away for pizzas & pony rides. He is a wonderful Father to the Fatherless and without His love, where would I be? Thank you Greg for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete